Macbook support for Debian Etch.

Hi list,

[ Please CC: me, since i'm not subscribed to this list ]

Is anybody working on Macbook support for Debian Etch in kernel? I've
looked around and it seems that we need some kernel patches and use
lilo or grub2 to boot over EFI.

Ryan Lortie wrote documentation about how to run Ubuntu Dapper[0] (that uses
2.6.15 and not .16 like us atm) on the new macs. I've asked him about the
kernel patches and he pointed me to his messages to the ubuntu kernel
mailing list[0]. There you can see four patches that apply cleanly against
ubuntu's 2.6.15 kernel, but since those are small patches shouldn't be too hard
to merge on our 2.6.16, considering too that some (if not all) were
already merged
upstream in .17-rcX.

Since i don't have the hardware, i asked Ryan to test the current
Debian testing
images[2] to send us a detailed report. He told me that he can't do
that now, because
he's using the laptop as his primary machine. Feedback from somebody
else is welcome.

[0] = http://desrt.mcmaster.ca/macbook.xhtml
[1] = http://archives.free.net.ph/list/ubuntu-kernel-team.en.html
[2] = http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/