Re: Shouldn't we have more ftp masters ?

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
> Note to other readers of this thread. I get complaints that i post too much,
> and indeed it can be argued that i represent 50% of this thread, and that i
> already made many replies, but what should i have done ? [...]

Learnt to write concisely and combine replies, after 8+ years of
package maintenance.  Most of these repeats don't tell us much
we didn't already know, about any of the participants in the
thread.  When new information does appear, it is at risk of being
lost in the datastorm.

I can appreciate the frustration about the evasion of some other
replies.  Certainly, I found it frustrating to read this thread.
I don't think it's really helpful to reply to every damn email
and repeat the questions, though.  That just seems to prolong
the inevitable heat death of a thread.

This isn't written because of Sven's past, although I'm sure
I've made similar points off-list at least twice.  It's more of
a general plea: think before you write and think before you send.
At least some of the messages in this thread were really personal
messages, but sent improperly to the mailing list.  That's ugly
and looks like playing to the grandstand when you're being mean
to someone.

Friendlyly,
--
MJR/slef