Re: removing 2.4 from etch/sid

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 05:04:00PM -0500, dann frazier wrote:
> I believe there's a rough consensus to not ship 2.4 in etch.  Anyone
> object to a filing of bugs to remove these packages from etch?

No, please go ahead. If nothing else, it will allow for cleanup of other code
bases which still think in terms of 2.4 kernels.

> Developers at DebConf have pointed out to me that removing these
> packages would help avoid confusion/unnecessary bug reports.

Yep.

> The rough consensus was also to continue to support systems for which
> users have compiled their own 2.4 - if we proceed with this removal,
> we might ask the release team to explicitly note this in a d-d-a
> e-mail so that package maintainers do not break 2.4 support if possible.

Ah, this kills the above mentioned cleanup though. Only d-i will be able to
benefit from it, as it doesn't really make sense to keep those features for
non-official kernels.

> On the other hand, if you'd really like to see 2.4 kernel images in
> Debian *and* are willing to assist with the security maintenance
> necessary to make this possible, please let me know.

I vote against.