Re: uncoordinated upload

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 02:27:22AM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> - for other changes, we need to make sure they don't break the ABI as
>   happend with 2.6.16-7 when we disabled SECCOMP, and don't introduce
>   build failures as 2.6.16.6 did on alpha.

This needs built snapshots and automatic ABI checks.

> I suspect one day is not enough for every arch maintainer to check the
> changes and possibly veto the upload. What is a decent compromise here?
> Two days? Is this possible at all, considering we do not have more than
> one active developer for most architectures? Do we have the resources to
> check the next upload for all architectures within a day or two?

If someone take i386, I should be able to do another two or three
smaller arches on one of the openpower machines. But only if the
compiler is buildable cleanly.

> - do external modules built against a previous version still work

This is part of the ABI check.

> - do external modules still build

That is why I think, we should control which binary modules packages get
build and we can shedule rebuilds via our autobuilds without problems.

- Arch maintainer should review patches in the -stable queue.
  The patch which broke alpha was posted as part of the regular -stable
  update and noone objected. In fact, I don't found anything about it
  until now on linux-kernel.

Bastian

--
Peace was the way.
		-- Kirk, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate unknown