Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

On  8 Apr 2006, Eduard Bloch wrote:

>> include <hallo.h>
> * Manoj Srivastava [Sat, Apr 08 2006, 09:14:14AM]:

>>> * Sven Luther [Thu, Apr 06 2006, 08:09:46AM]:

>>> make-kpkg or m-a, that does not matter, they basically use the
>>> same command line interface introduced by Manoj and slightly
>>> refined.
>>
>> What was the slight refinement?
>
> Let's see... KPKG_DEST_DIR was the first one, we have discussed that
> years ago and it was accepted well AFAICS.

        Right. make-kpkg does pass KPKG_DEST_DIR to the modules.

> And there are additional targets that m-a-infected rules file
> provide, used to predict the file location and debug the build
> environment.

        I am not sure I understand. Predict which file location?

> OTOH some things are not implemented, and nobody has asked for them:
> KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG, CONCURRENCY_LEVEL, ROOT_CMD, UNSIGN_CHANGELOG,
> UNSIGN_SOURCE, APPEND_TO_VERSION, INT_SUBARCH.

> The last thing is interesting - I don't exactly know how to deal
> with crosscompilation. Maybe you have a hint how to reliably
> establish the the correct environment to build modules consistent
> with what the user wants to do.

        I think some people have used the current make-kpkg setup to
 cross compile kernels, but I have personally never done that (all I
 have is i386 machines).

        manoj
--
Gary Hart: living proof that you *can* screw your brains out.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>