Minimum initrd to satisfy init

Can anyone tell me, or point me towards something that will explain what is the minimum I need to put into an initrd image to satisfy init and complete the boot process?

I have a kernel that I can load into an old i386, that fails at the point where it tries to open /dev/console, and fails to execute /sbin/init.

I'm attempting to set root as /dev/NFS, and have successfully mounted root on a remote bootp server, but none of the nodes in /dev have been set up, and apparently the kernel can not execute the init scripts that I've put in the bootp server directory that my old i386 has mounted as root.

NetBSD has a document (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/) that explains the server side, and The Linux Documentation Project has a document (which I just discovered) pointing out that I could copy an existing /dev directory using -R. (Which I will try next)(onto a root floppy)
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/buildroot.html
also
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-Root-Client-mini-HOWTO/index.html

That document also discusses a minimum inittab, and I've tried something similar without success, obviously because of the missing /dev/console node. I can't really do a 'mknod' on a running kernel, because it screws up the existing node??

A Linux Journal article by Richard Ferri,
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5465
(which I also just discovered) explains what I'm trying to do, and I will have to study further. .

The obsolete i386 which I am attempting to turn into a Nat/gateway/firewall (again) is not capable of booting from CDROM.

Thanks for reading. . .

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with Live Search! http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline