Re: Intent to NMU mkvmlinuz to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 08:11:18AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Dear Debian maintainer,
>
> The mkvmlinuz Debian package, which you are the maintainer of, has
> longstanding bug report(s) which include translation updates or fixes
> for po-debconf.  At least one of these is older than 100 days, namely
> bug number 298972 (it is pretty likely that several other translation
> bug reports are pending).

I remember some problem with some of these translations, and i was waiting for
a return from you guys. Now, the package is maintained in the kernel svn
repository, and i think we would gladly give you access to it to upgrade the
translations yourself.

> Often, but not always, this means that the package is not very actively
> maintained. I'm sending you this mail in order to check the situation and
> determine the next necessary steps. If there is any reason for which you
> haven't fixed the bug yet, or there's anything else you might want to tell
> me, I will be very happy about any feedback. If so, please accept my
> apologies.

Well, i know nothing about translations, and the patches did not apply cleanly
or there where some issues.

I also have had little time for things like translations, i understand
unperfectly, and most of my time these past 6 months was probably swallowed
into this lamentable dispute with the d-i team, thanks to frans stuborness.

> I have the intention, as part of a more general action of the Debian
> i18n Task Force to build and possibly upload a non-maintainer upload
> for mkvmlinuz in order to fix this as well as all pending translations
> for the debconf templates.

Please don't do that. In place, i would appreciate you to check in the
translations directly into the svn repository, and ping me for an upload once
you are done, or if you don't want to do this, to send me a clean and uptodate
patch.

> The coordination page of this action can be seen at
> http://people.debian.org/~lwall/i18n/
>
> Such changes are always harmless, which explains why I safely consider
> building NMU's for such issues even though they're obviously non critical.

Yep, but the svn repository is the prefered form of modification, please do
your work there.

> However, letting l10n-related bugs sleep in the BTS is simply lowering the
> chances that your package interaction with its users may be done in
> something else than the English language.
>
> The schedule for the NMU (in case it happens, that is if you agree with it
> or if I don't receive any answer in 7 days) is roughly the following:
>
>  31 oct 2006   : send this notice
>  07 nov 2006   : post a NMU announcement to debian-i18n with you
>                  (maintainer) CC'ed
>  14 nov 2006   : deadline for receiving translation updates
>  16 nov 2006   : build the package and upload it to DELAYED/2-day
>                  send the NMU patch to the BTS
>  18 nov 2006   : NMU uploaded to incoming
>  19 nov 2006   : NMU enters unstable
>
> The patch for the NMU will then be sent to the oldest bug report with
> a pending po-debconf translation.
>
> I will then subscribe to the Package Tracking System for mkvmlinuz and
> follow its life for 60 days after my NMU in order to fix any issue
> potentially introduced by my upload.
>
> Let me know, as soon as possible, if you have any kind of objection to this
> process.

I sure did. Now, i would like to know from the rest of the kernel team if my
proposal to allow access to christian perrier (or someone else maybe), as
translator to our repository is ok, and of christian if this seems agreable to
you.

We may have other packages which need translations, altough most of the kernel
user interaction is usually done from kernel-package.