Re: RFC: Possible (partial) solution for device persistence issue

Op 16-10-2006 om 00:06 schreef Frans Pop:
> On Sunday 15 October 2006 23:45, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > The thing I would like to see is that the _difference_ in device naming
> > between d-i kernel plus fellows and installed kernel plus fellows is
> > solved.
>
> See the discussions that we have had about this in the past.
> The culprit is the kernel/udev: that can load drivers in a different order
> any time. It is not something we can solve in the installer.
>
> The experts have said that using UUID is the best solution. I agree that
> it is extremely ugly.

Dear Kernel developers,

Your work is appriceated, but I have a request:

  Please allow reproducable hardware detection.

As systemadministrator I can't affort having a disk that is one moment
/dev/sda and the next reboot /dev/sdb.

Having a fast booting system is great, having disks swapped not.

Please prefer consistence above speed.

Thank you for reading this humble plea.
Geert Stappers