Re: Installation Report: etch beta 3 on Asus P5LD2-VM: *FAILED*

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:14:48AM +0800, "Arne Götje (?????????)" wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I tried to install Debian etch with the beta 3 netinstall image on an
> Asus P5LD2-VM board with a Dual Core Intel CPU, Intel 945G Northbridge
> and Intel ICH7 Southbridge.
>
> The machine came with an SATA HD and an IDE DVD ROM.
> The install failed because the CD could not detect the DVD drive.
> It appeared that the SATA driver (ata_piix) was loaded before the legacy
> IDE drivers. Because the ICH7 southbridge provides both, SATA and IDE,
> but with the same IO and IRQ, it happened, that the kernel complained
> the the IO was already in use and the legacy IDE driver could not be loaded.
> <snip/>
> So, two things:
> 1. upgrade the kernel to the current 'testing' version

Current versions of d-i are using 2.6.17 and .18 is work in progress.
( Debian-Installer version Beta 3 has a 2.6.16 kernel )

> 2. make sure the IDE drivers get loaded before ata_piix

I don't known about the loading sequence, but do known that that
question/request is more appropriate at the kernel mailinglist.
(that ML is CarbonCopied.)

HtH
GSt