Re: Preparing linux-2.6 2.6.18-1

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 02:15:54PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Change this policy.  You really must make two exceptions:
> (1) Removal of material which Debian cannot legally distribute, if
> upstream insists on keeping it.
> (2) Removal of material which does not satisfy the DFSG, if
> upstream insists on keeping it.

Indeed, this should be another topic for the next kernel-team meeting.

> One piece of "broken functionality" is loading firmware before the
> root partition is mounted -- the lack of this breaks netbooting on the
> boards which need the firmware.  However, I can't do anything about this:
> it requires running udev in the initramfs.  This problem is not specific
> to this driver.

the needed functionality is provided by the initramfs-hook in the
firmware-nonfree package, which makes sure the firmware.agent from udev
is present in the initramfs too.

> A second piece of "broken functionality" is the functionality provided
> by the firmware: if the firmware isn't there and isn't loaded, the
> functionality isn't there.  Duh.  I also can't do anything about this.

Which functionality? TSO?

> > Then, firmware-loading support in d-i is still missing, this issue
> > should be be fixed too before we consider the patch.
>
> Firmware loading support patches are being refused in d-i until after etch
> is released.  Therefore, this amounts to a "We will not accept any firmware
> still queue them up for you to commit afterwards, though.

if we want to release in time, we should indeed collect the patches for
post-etch. 2.6.20 should be the target for the first patches, as the
merge window for 2.6.19 will not be open long enough anymore, except for
the dgrs removal.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--