Re: Preparing linux-2.6 2.6.18-1

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 01:30:34PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I emailed the contact address at Intel about e100, but it seems to forward
> to tech support.  We'll see if anything comes back.

what did you write them?

IMHO, the topmost priority should be to get DFSG-free sources and an
in-tree build infrastructure for the firmwares, like the aic7xxx driver.

We should ask the vendors to relicense the blob and implement
request_firmware only if they strictly refuse to provide sources.

It also would be interesting to know if the blobs are actually code or
register bank settings, as they don't need to be removed in the latter
case, not being software at all.

Maybe we should prepare a document template which we can send to all
vendors, listing the reasons for our actions and possible actions we see
they could take, everything in a friendly legalese so we can expect a
real answer.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--