Re: Preparing linux-2.6 2.6.18-1

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:53:21PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I honestly believe that moving linux-2.6 to non-free hurts our users
> more than stripping non-free parts of the Debian-precompiled kernel.

of course.

> Also, section 4 of the SC talks equally about users and free software,
> not users above free software.

And free software above the needs of our users neither.

And exactly this is what it is all about: find a way to satisfy BOTH
priorities, not just one. As long as there is no working alternative to
shipping firmwares in main, removing them is simply wrong. working
together with upstream and the vendors to fix the issue is what we
should do, not ripping the blobs aout of the kernel and forgetting
about their existence.

Guess which Distribution users who "made a poor buying choice" will not
use again.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--