2.6.17 and nvidia c51

Hi DDs,

tho I had closed my bug mentioned here, because it was almost identical
to #384638, Thomas Schwinge was kind enough to still answer it, which
lead to a working solution in the end.

One point remains tho:

This all made me curios about my relatively new hardware (an nvidia C51
chipset, better known as nforce 430 and geforce 6150 - together with a
dual core AMD64), so I found out that *none* of the 64bit-2.6.17 kernels
work on that machine at the moment, while 2.6.16 is fine (this all
relates to *testing* - at the moment I'm testing Testing ;-) ).

Before I send in more bug reports, let me ask one general question:

At work, on AMD K7 (also with testing), a 2.6.17 kernel works fine. But
still 2.6.16 is defined as "latest"; means that gets installed if you
select "2.6". I'm having trouble finding the descriptions of the
process, and maybe my "fault" is that I'm not following the kernel-list,
 and I'm also not on IRC.

So the question actually is: what exactly *is* the process? Who decides
which kernel will be released together with Etch? And is it possible
(for instance), that on different architectures there would be different
kernels - or are they supposed to not only build, but also "behave well"
on different architectures? That would involve a lot of testers, right?

And - to relate it back to my actual problem at the moment:

1. I keep my current bug #387361 closed, because it is resolved?
2. I open a new one against linux-image-2.6.17-2-amd64 because that
doesn't boot on said machine?
3. I repeat that for the -xen kernel?
4. I add another bug report against linux-latest-2.6 in testing, because
it still installs .16 instead of .17?

Lots of questions. I thought I had read (and understood) some things...

Sorry for the cross-posting, and please CC me - thanks.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang

--
wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien
GPG key: 728D9BD0 Fingerprint: a9232294b7edeb3e2f18ae56aab8d36a728d9bd0