Re: linux-2.6: includes nondistributable and non-free binary firmware

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:06:44PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> enough time is lost with any of those dfsg firmware wankers,
> that do _zero_ work upstream or on the licensing front.

I repeat my offer to patch any (well, almost any) of these
drivers to use request_firmware().  I need a volunteer who
has the affected hardware and is willing to test my changes.
It would also be nice if debian kernel developers expressed
interest in incorporating such work (if any) for etch.

One alternative sven mentioned is to move these drivers to
non-free.  I don't see any existing framework for such
package(s), but that would indeed involve less coding
and debugging.

I am concerned about etch, and the pipeline from upstream
to Debian is long enough that I think it's too late to
work upstream.

At least 12 of the 59 files are probably licensed "free enough"
for upstream, so upstream will have limited interest in those
cases.

> the drivers are free not-******* non-free.

I agree the drivers are free.  That's why I hope we can eventually
separate them from the non-free firmware they include.

     - Larry