Re: Etch timeline is unrealistic because non-free firmware is NOT being dealt with

basilarchia@gmail.com wrote:
On 08/02/06 22:17, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

>> Start with drivers/char/drm/mga_ucode.h.  This is distributable, because it's under
>> a BSD license, but it's not free software, because there's no source code.
>There is no source code, because there never was any source code.

Do you have *actual evidence* of this?  Are you a Matrox employee?  Do you have
an email from one?  Do you know the "microcode" format and can you explain how
to easily edit the hex to make the microcode do different things?

If any of the above, please provide your evidence.  If the microcode was
wriiten in hex, hex is the sorurce code and we can include it.

Otherwise, I contend that you are just making this up and Matrox actually has
source code which it is withholding.  Replies to debian-kernel please.