Re: Out of tree kernel images / Lustre image

dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 11:06:23AM +0000, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> If you want to be correct, you can't use linux-source. So the security
>> team have to support another kernel source.
>
> A kernel-patch package that applies on top of the kernel team's
> linux-source is the approach I'd suggest. But to reiterate, if
> something in a kernel update causes the patch to no longer apply, I
> would want to have a reliable contact (hopefully 2 people) whom we can
> call upon for assistance.

A Build-Depends on the linux-source or linux-tree will be
there. Lustre already comes as patch set to the kernel so there is 0
reason to fork/copy the linux source.

I believe security updates should also be less of a problem than
actual kernel updates. They don't tend to mess around with the
VFS/etx3 code overly much. But as I mentioned, now we are two people
needing this for work so there should always be someone available.

I guess we can build an image and see how well this works out till
etch+1 comes out. I'm not sure if I want this in etch/stable. Having
it in unstbale for the time being would be fine with me.

MfG
        Goswin