Re: Request for Areca Support in Debian Etch

hello,

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 12:41:44AM +0200, Sascha Haupt wrote:
> Hello Kernel Team,
>
> i've tried more than one day to get a new server running with debian
> sarge. Problem is that i've a Areca ARC-1210 RAID-Controller and there
> is no ascmsr driver in any debian netinstall image.
>
> I found an unofficial netinstall cd at http://www.tienhuis.nl/areca/ but
> this cd won't detect my RAID Array. But the new releases of SuSE Linux
> or Ubuntu working fine. But finally I want to stay with orginal Debian,
> so Ubuntu or SuSE are only Toys for me :-)
>
> Is there a posibility to integrate the driver into the new debian
> relase. There are many small servers using this RAID-Card on market. So
> I think there is an need for it. I know the driver isn't in offical
> vanilla kernel yet. But it's included in the -mm Patches. That should be
> a good sign.

it has been _over_ a year in -mm, due to really bad vendor response
to requested bug fixes.
the situation seems to have changed lately and it is included for the
2.6.19 queue.

so it might fall under consideration for a backport to the debian
2.6.18.

> Greatings from Bavaria
>
> Sascha Haupt

best regards