Re: Fwd: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:06:50PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> maximilian attems <maks@sternwelten.at> writes:
> >> Thank you. I'll continue to pursue this on debian-powerpc.
> > 2.6.18 is considered as release kernel,
>
> No, it is not. As you may have noticed, we had a release update a few
> days ago, telling people that we're currently planning to release with
> 2.6.17. Though we're aware that it might be needed to update the kernel
> in October, the current upstream release quality is not something we
> want to rely on.

the last announcement by the release team was coordinated with d-kernel
and said 2.6.17 or higher.
also if you look at the mails of fjp and aba, they all state that the
Sarge Debian kernel freeze was too long and if things get coordinated
with d-i an newer kernel is fine.

we are about to stabilize 2.6.17, although we won't backport 2.6.18
stuff, as from the timing 2.6.18 looks good. 2.6.18 has features for
several archs ppc, amd64 (smp alternatives), sparc (sbus sysfs) plus
big sata/acpi merge.

best regards

--
maks