Compiling "out-of-tree" module against own kernel package

I am currently running about 12 PCs with Sarge across the country. On each machine I am running a "kernel.org" kernel (+custom patches) AND need to compile a out-of-tree module for these kermels.

I basically download a tarball from kernel.org, ( most recently), patch as appropriate then make a kernel-image and kernel-headers package on a central machine which I install on all the other machines. I am create the .deb packages using:

  > make-kpkg clean
  > fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers

This works well. However on the "client" machines I cannot then compile
out-of-tree module. The kernel_headers package seems to be missing many of the required make files and the scripts directly entirely (see below). I don't see the need to create a "source" package.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in the kernel-headers packaging?

Chris Phillips

~/chris/vsib26> make
make -C /usr/src/kernel-headers- SUBDIRS=/home/vlbi/chris/vsib26 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-'
Makefile:298: /usr/src/kernel-headers- No such file or directory
/usr/src/kernel-headers- /usr/src/kernel-headers- No such file or directory
/usr/src/kernel-headers- /usr/src/kernel-headers- No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 1: [: -lt: unary operator expected
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/kernel-headers-'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-'
make: *** [vsib.ko] Error 2

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Personals: It's free to check out our great singles!