kernels in etch and compatibility with modules packages

[Please CC as I am not subscribed.]

Hi Guys,

I am the maintainer of the IVTV driver packages. The IVTV upstream have
a scheme where the 0.6.x releases are for use with the 2.6.16 kernels,
0.7.x goes with 2.6.17 etc. There is an older 0.4.x series which works
with 2.6.15 and earlier.

I have unfortunately allowed the 0.6.x package to propagate into Etch,
which currently has a 2.6.15 kernel that the IVTV packages cannot work
with[0]. It seems that 2.6.16 will not be going into Etch anytime soon
due to the freeze[1], is that correct?

Given that 2.6.16 won't be going in I think the best thing for me to do
would be to file a bug asking for the current IVTV package to be removed
from testing. However, does anyone know a more elegant way than filing
an RC bug to stop the 0.6.x package propagating again (and the same
problem occurring in the 2.6.17/0.7.x time-frame)? I don't think there
is a kernel package I can sensibly depend on since people may build from
upstream source. Would a build-depends make sense, even though it isn't
strictly true?

Thanks for any advice,
Ian.

[0] See bug #375613 if you are interested.
[1] From http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux-2.6.html
--
Ian Campbell

BOFH excuse #375: