Re: Dropping the amd64-generic flavour

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 08:06:39PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 08:20:56AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Frederik Schueler:
> >
> > > -generic is odd and too long. I am considering to change the naming
> > > scheme completely, and call the flavours 2.6.x-y-amd64 and
> > > 2.6.x-y-em64t respectively.
> >
> > Newer GCCs produce AMD64 code which is supposed to be closed to
> > optimal to what GCC can produce on EM64T.  Does it still make sense to
> > distinguish between them?  Or has it got something to do with the way
> > the kernel sets up its data structures?
>
> The officially recommended way to build a distro kernel is to build
> the generic one.  It's as fast as the specific ones because it uses
> some binary patching during bootup.  The only thing you save with the
> specific options is a tiny little bit of space.

I'm going to second this suggestion.

The time I spend waiting for both a -k8 and -emt64 version to download
and install when I'm upgrading a few machines is going to be far longer
than any time saved by some optimizations that aren't already
done by the generic kernel.

Just make a 'amd64-generic' kernel and be done with it, unless you have
benchmarks showing a real performance difference.