Re: ABI handling for linux-2.6

* Frederik Schueler <fs@debian.org> [2006-06-07 22:39]:
> 1. Alter the NEW handling for kernel (and out of tree modules) packages:
>
> - Add some kind of auto-hinting (if this is technically possible) to
>   automatically process kernel packages and co.
>
> - Grant ftp-assistant rights to someone from the kernel team, who will
>   process these packages only.

We are certainly not in a position to demand such special handling, in
particular when a ftp-master already said it won't happen.

> 2. Remove the ABI information from the package file names, possibly even
> renaming the linux-image packages to linux-image-2.6-arch-flavor to
> avoid NEW runs even on new minor releases.

That's not ideal either.

I think the situation with kernels in unstable is fine since an ABI
change doesn't happen too often anyway.  What I'd like to see is that
rc kernels are uploaded to experimental without the -rcX bit in the
name, so the kernel can immediately enter unstable when the final
version is out.  I think this would get rid of the major problem, that
is, that new upstream releases can take a while to enter unstable due
to NEW.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/