Re: sarge3 kernel build & r3

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:43:54PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 23:12:24 +0200 Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > And since udev is needed for initramfs-tools, which is needed by the
> > kernels, ...
>
> Initramfs-tools is not needed by the official Debian kernels - just
> favored.

Ah, i believe this is not the case. I had yaird installed on a machine, and it
pulled in initramfs-tool all the same when i tried to upgrade from somewhat
sarge to latest unstable, which resulted in a whole udev mess.

> I run gnome on etch without udev installed. Sure, it means I cannot use
> the gnome meta package, as I want to avoid the volume-manager, but my
> users are happy :-)

Yeah, but as Frans would tell you, this is hardly suitable for d-i :)

Anyway, nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of work, we just have to be
aware of it.