Re: kernel/d-i/security/release meeting at DebConf6

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 09:10:54AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:

>  [ keeping the cross-post and please keep it cross-posted ]
>
> On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 01:09:45PM -0500, dann frazier wrote:
> > hey,
> >   Frans Pop assembled an informal BoF at DebConf to discuss cross-team
> > issues related to the kernel[1].
> >
> > We discussed the following topics:
>  <snip/>
> >  * Non-free modules + firmware
> >  * External module packages
> > Non-free modules + firmware
> > ---------------------------
> > It was noted that Bastian Blank is working on splitting non-free
> > modules out of main into their own source package.
> >
> > frans> It should happen pretty soon; we need the modules in non-free before
> >        we do the d-i work; d-i will probably ask for an exception so that
> >        d-i can install them as though they were in main because frans thinks
> >        we won't have time for that (modules really won't be in main)
> >
> > This means that non-free modules will be on installer cds.  The needed
> > exception would be to allow etch to be used as a transition period.
> >
> > manoj> this isn't a release management decision, we don't want another GR
> > aba> a GR would be time consuming
> >
> > manoj> what about a free and a non-free installer image, where the non-free
> >        installer is in the non-free section
>
> What work is done to get the Linux kernel completely libre?
> Who is talking with hardware manufactures to GPL their code?

We did some work to make the drivers with non-free firmware at least be
distributable (many of them originally came with GPLed binary-only blobs), and
the manufacturers where rather open about this. That said, asking them to free
their actual firmware is something rather doubtful to work, especially given
the current situation of upstream linux deciding to ignore the issue.

By moving those drivers to non-free, we raise the user awareness of the issue,
and we should even document it during the install (a dialog saying this driver
is non-free because of blah-blah-blah maybe), and this should in the
mid-to-long term help out convince the manufacturers to go the free route.