Re: kernel/d-i/security/release meeting at DebConf6

[ drop debian-release from CC ]

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 01:09:45PM -0500, dann frazier wrote:
> Kernel udeb creation process (possibly using k-p?)
> If we build all of the *existing* udebs from a single source, we outgrow
> the limit of the Binary: field in the control file.

Which limit? The policy don't specify one and linux-2.6 already broke
the 10KiB.

> A second limitation exists in sarge's version of apt, which is what we might
> be running on ftp-master.  Not an issue if we start this with etch + 1
> this will create an upgrade problem for users.

Which problem?

> udebs/deb creation is currently separate - is that a feature?

The decision was done before the kernel team was founded. So it is a
feature.

> manoj wonders if maybe kernel-package can do this work.  he wouldn't
> want to build the per-arch mapping into k-p, but might take these from
> lists on the file system

As not all of the images are currently built with k-p and the number
will decrease in the future, this is not appropriate.

> Frans points out that his preference is to continue to keep udeb
> generation separate from the mainline kernel, to avoid having to do a
> full kernel release each time we shuffle udeb contents.

Currently we have the problem the other way around. We can't rebuild the
udebs for every update of the debs.

> Frans believes that sepearate source packages are more feasible for allowing
> this type of shuffling

If someone goes crazy, it may see this as GPL violation.

Bastian

--
Punishment becomes ineffective after a certain point.  Men become insensitive.
		-- Eneg, "Patterns of Force", stardate 2534.7