Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

#include <hallo.h>
* Jurij Smakov [Tue, Apr 04 2006, 09:34:29AM]:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Bastian Blank wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:37:43PM -0700, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> >
> >There is already one available on
> >svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-voip/zaptel-modules/trunk/debian.
> >or
> >http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-voip/zaptel-modules/trunk/debian/
>
> Great! I'll have a look, thanks.
>
> [..]
>
> >>* linux-headers-$(VERSION)-all: will pull in the linux-headers for
> >>  all supported flavours for current architecture.
> >>* module-assistant: recommended tool to build the binary modules.
> >>* linux-support-$(VERSION)-$(ABINAME): the support scripts and
> >>  Makefile snippets to simplify the building of the modules for
> >>  all flavours.
> >
> >The have to use modules/gencontrol.py to generate informations about
> >available flavours, dependencies, build dependencies and compiler
> >settings.
>
> Ok, I'll make a stronger statement there.
>
> >>Binary-binary packages
> >>----------------------
> >>Binary-binary packages should be named
> >>$(STEM)-linux-modules-$(VERSION)-$(ABI)-$(FLAVOUR), where $(VERSION),
> >>$(ABI)
> >>and $(FLAVOUR) parameters should match the corresponding values of the
> >>official linux-image package for which the module is built.
> >
> >linux-modules-$NAME-$VERSION.

I think that $KVERS and "linux-modules" should belong together, be close
more than the base name to other parts, so Jurij's scheme looks just
more readable. And if we follow the libFOO-langbar paradigm it would be
modules-$NAME$VERSION-linux -- not much better.

> >>                                                            Kernel modules
> >>shipped in the package should be installed in
> >>/lib/modules/$(VERSION)-$(ABINAME)-$(FLAVOUR)/$(STEM) directory.
> >
> >/lib/modules/$UNAME/extra/$NAME
>
> The location I've mentioned is what module-assistant currently does by
> default. Is there any technical reason to change the location to the one
> you propose?

Not really, it is up to packages to specify the location.

Eduard.

--
Wer was zu sagen hat, hat keine Eile.
Er läßt sich Zeit , und sagts in einer Zeile.