Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Bastian Blank wrote:

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:37:43PM -0700, Jurij Smakov wrote:

There is already one available on
svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-voip/zaptel-modules/trunk/debian.
or
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-voip/zaptel-modules/trunk/debian/

Great! I'll have a look, thanks.

[..]

* linux-headers-$(VERSION)-all: will pull in the linux-headers for
  all supported flavours for current architecture.
* module-assistant: recommended tool to build the binary modules.
* linux-support-$(VERSION)-$(ABINAME): the support scripts and
  Makefile snippets to simplify the building of the modules for
  all flavours.

The have to use modules/gencontrol.py to generate informations about
available flavours, dependencies, build dependencies and compiler
settings.

Ok, I'll make a stronger statement there.

Binary-binary packages
----------------------
Binary-binary packages should be named
$(STEM)-linux-modules-$(VERSION)-$(ABI)-$(FLAVOUR), where $(VERSION), $(ABI)
and $(FLAVOUR) parameters should match the corresponding values of the
official linux-image package for which the module is built.

linux-modules-$NAME-$VERSION.

I thought the idea was to have a separate package for each VERSION-ABI-FLAVOUR combination, in which each of the binary-binary packages depends on the corresponding linux-image. If you don't include the ABI in the module package name, what happens when the kernel's ABI changes? There should be a possibility to have two module packages corresponding to different ABI numbers but the same VERSION in the archive at the same time. And having FLAVOUR as part of the package name appears essential to me as well.

                                                            Kernel modules
shipped in the package should be installed in
/lib/modules/$(VERSION)-$(ABINAME)-$(FLAVOUR)/$(STEM) directory.

/lib/modules/$UNAME/extra/$NAME

The location I've mentioned is what module-assistant currently does by default. Is there any technical reason to change the location to the one you propose?

                                                                 The
package should invoke 'depmod -a' in its postinst

and postrm

Right.

                                                  script if the
version, abiname and flavour of the kernel running at the installation
time is the same as the version of the kernel it has been built for.
The recommended way to build these packages is by

a real source package.

Yeah, that was the intended meaning.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org