Backports of linux-2.6 and dependencies

Hi folks

As requested and discussed several times since the release of Sarge, we are
planning to provide a complete solution for the issue of outdated kernels in
Sarge.

The backports.org archive carries current versions of most needed packages to
run new kernels on Sarge but some of them (eg initramfs-tools) are outdated,
some are seriously broken (linux-2.6 uses the same abiname as the versions in
sid/etch but provides a different abi due to the usage of another compiler).

Frederik Schueler and I want to fix that with the following proposal:
* /dists/sarge-backports in the kernel repository will contain any data of the
  backports.
  - ./linux-2.6 is a copy with appropriate changes for Sarge.
  - ./extra/* contains scripts and other data which is needed to do automatic
    backports of the packages.
* Each new version of the packages not maintained in the kernel
  repository is automaticaly backported, uploaded to the kernel archive
  and built by autobuilders.
* The packages are moved to the real dists in the archive after tests
  and approval.

The advantages of this solution, compared to the current status, are automatic
updates on new release of udev/klibc/whatever, and more involvement of the
kernel team.

The disadvantage is another archive which needs to be tracked.

To implement this solution, we need help from both the backport and the kernel
team: we need autobuilders and we need someone for every arch to verify and
approve the packages for the archive.

We would like to discuss this until the end of the weekend, to have a status to
work with.

Bastian

--
Extreme feminine beauty is always disturbing.
		-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4