Re: kernel 2.6.x and 3c574_cs driver

I've found and 'fixed' the problem with the configuration for this PCMCIA driver.

It seems that even though the config value from the original configuration had CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y, when I ran 'make xconfig' it changed this to a commented out line '# CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA is not set' and so the list of possible PCMCIA drivers was not listed. I uncommented this and set it as in the original file, re-ran the 'make xconfig' and got the list for PCMCIA network drivers.

I will try to determine if this is a known problem or not. Any feedback on this part of the issue would, again, be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Bob McGowan wrote:
The bottom line problem is that I'm not able to build a kernel with the driver for this card. Basically, I can't find it listed in the configuration tool (make xconfig). The following is a bit of the history and background information.

I have an old Sony VAIO laptop with a 3Com PCMCIA ethernet card model 3CCFE574BT. I upgraded the kernel from the 2.4 to 2.6.8-2-686 after the initial installation. This and the 2.4 kernel work with the above mentioned card without any problems.

There are some minor issues with the ACPI support (I think: the primary issue being that shutdown will not automatically power down, I have to do it manually). I had downloaded the 'latest' code some while back for my home system (2.6.14.4) and copied it to the laptop, configured (minimal changes to the configuration - made sure all ACPI functions I could find that made sense were enabled), built kernel-image and kernel-headers (make-kpkg...) and installed. The PCMCIA ethernet card was not recognized.

I've repeated the above with the 'stock' source for 2.6.8 from the Debian archives, with the same result. I can't find or configure the driver for this card, even though the source file, 3c574_cs.c, is in the directory structure for the kernel source.

I have only used the 'make xconfig' configuration method, so it may be that one of the others is more robust. Or there may be other issues. Your suggestions and pointers are much appreciated.

Bob