From: robomod@news.nic.it [mailto:robomod@news.nic.it] On Behalf Of Jan
Rathmann
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 1:45 AM
To: debian-kernel@lists.debian.org
Subject: How to enable SATA ATAPI support?

Hello,

hope I've made it to right place for my problem. I recently got a
SATA-DVD-Burner (Plextor PX-712SA) which isn't recognized by my linux
system (Ubuntu Breezy). After searching the net I found out the
following things, that I need kernel 2.6.15 (which I installed) and that
either there should be the argument

libata.atapi_enabled=1

passed to the kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst or a file named "libata"
with the content

options libata atapi_enabled=1

should be created in /etc/modprobe.d/ and afterwards the kernel should
be reconfigured by

dpkg-reconfigure [kernel-name]

I tried it both ways and also in combination but no matter what I do,
the following message always appears, when booting the system:

ata1(0): WARNING: ATAPI is disabled, device ignored.

I have to admit I'm quite new to linux and still in a state, where I
learn to understand how certain things work, so I wanted to ask if
anybody has an idea what went wrong so far?

Kind regards,
Jan