Re: non-free firmware in the linux kernel

Kyle McMartin wrote:

> The question is: when you remove the firmware from the driver, and all
> it is, is a file sitting in /lib/firmware/; and it's contents are just
> non-executable hex,
Sorry, it is executable.  For instance, the tg3 code is simply MIPS binary
which can be disassembled with binutils.  Factual error.  Try again!

> with no C-code structure, is it just a BSD-licensed
> (in the qla2xxx case) data file, or is it still regarded as a piece of
> code.
>
> This, to me, is no different from a BSD licensed JPEG.
>
> I would argue it's the former. I can see the argument when it's a part of
> the source code, but not when it's a completely seperate entity.
>
> Of course, firmwares where the license has not been clarified by
> the copyright holder/IP owner would still be a problem; or where
> something is clearly unredistributable (ie: Intel IPW firmwares.)

Or where it's licensed without permission to modify, e.g. tg3 firmware.
Which is actually a very common result when the licenses do get cleared up
with the copyright holder.  :-P

--
ksig --random|