Re: non-free firmware

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:58:16PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:50:47PM +0100, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> > Hallo,

> > From my point of view, the situation currently looks like this:
> >
> > 1. tg3 and qla2xxx driver status has been solved: upstream has
> > relicensed the drivers - the sourcecode is licensed under the GPL, the
> > firmware data is freely distributable as an aggregate work.
>
> The firmware is still source-less, and it is not data, as it represents
> microcode destined to be run on the controller it is uploaded to.

we all agree that a line needs to be drawn.
The stripped firmwares have questionable licenses
and needs to be put in non-free.

kernel.org is distributing all of them.
i'm sure that a user expects a package called linux-image to contain
tg3 for example.

in an ideal world the line could be drawn much tighter,
at the moment there is not much of a gain.

--
maks