Re: how to use initrd command

Jon Miller wrote:
I'm attempting to upgrade Debian 3.1 kernel version 2.4  to the latest 2.6 version.  I understand I need to add a initrd command somewhere in this.  How do I pass this command and when (a link to a document would be a big help).

Thanks

Jon

If you are installing a debian kernel image, apt-get will manage to install any additional needed packages The question the installer comes with, is about the /etc/lilo.conf file: you have to make to find this section :

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	read-only
#	restricted
#	alias=1

it may look slightly different, but it'll be something like this
now, for a debian kernel image  it has to become like this

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	initrd=/initrd.img
	read-only
#	restricted
#	alias=1

it is a good idea to keep a menu item of the existing kernel in there (with image=/vmlinuz.old) to ensure you can boot into your existing kernel in case something is not yet set up proparly with the new one.

the /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old are usually symlinks to the real kernel image in /boot, like /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.051231 - anyway, a file with vmlinuz and a specific version in the name

HTH,

Joris