kernel upgrade error

I'm trying to upgrade my Debian sarge 3.1 kernel 2.4 to the 2.6.  Using aptitude install kernel-image-xx.xx.xxx when I rebooted the system hung at the prompt of sbin/init:432: cannot open dev/console: no such file.
I then used a knoppix 4.0 cd to boot from and mounted the root partition and issued the command
MAKEDEV updates and again the system just hung there
on one occassion after issuing the command MAKEDEV updates and it returned to the prompt I then issued the command MAKEDEV console.  When I got the prompt back I then issued the command mknod -m 660 /dev/console c 5 1and mknod -m 660 /dev/null c 1 3.
These returned an access denied on all the files.

1) how do I upgrade the kernel to the 2.6 stable version
2) can this be done using apt-get?
or
3) can the above be fixed

Thanks

Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE, CCNA
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
Resellers for: Novell Gold Partner, Cisco Partner, Peopletelecom, Westnet, Sophos Anti-Virus,

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby