zaptel module compilation

Hi Kernel team,

I'm trying to resolve #343521 and I found that the linux-headers ship
with a file .extraversion instead of providing EXTRAVERSION in the
according Makefile.

Now, my question is which part of the chain should be fixed accordingly.
Right now zaptel-source uses KVERS as it's being provided by
module-assistant. Module-assistant itself gathers its knowledge from the
kernel Makefile. Thus, for e.g. a linux-2.6.14-2-686-smp the KVERS is
linux-2.6.14 as correctly found in the bug report. So, could please
maybe someone point me to whether sourcing the .extraversion is the sane
approach or where I am to redirect this?

Thanks for your help.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian