Updated Howto needed: How to compile a kernel like etch's.

I have tried and failed to find a howto which will fill my need:

I need a howto which gives the steps, package names and repositories to

1) Build a kernel just like the binary distribution in testing/unstable.

2) Build as 1) above but be able to apply/remove patches during the build process

3) As 1) But using the latest svn patch sets from debian kernel development tree.

I had an un-published howto which applied pre-sarge, but many things have changed. I have not found a howto or a method to achieve any of the above.

There are plenty of howtos which say along the lines of: download debian source package or from kernel.org, make menuconfig, make-kpkg etc. But that is not what I am looking for as I will end up with something other than a current Debian kernel. If I wanted to create a patch for submission, I can't be sure it will work without having a build process for a patched debian kernel.