Adding linux-image-<version> dependency on linux-headers-<version>?

Hello all,

I am curious as to the reasoning behind not including the kernel headers along with a kernel install?  The reason that I bring this up is that many (new/Joe) users end up unable to figure out why they can't compile certain modules (such as the nvidia driver, etc.)...until someone more knowledgeable points out that kernel-headers-<version> needs to be installed (for example, see http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=1901559#post1901559, and other threads that i and many others have replied to with basically the same suggestion to install the headers).  There is a probably a certain amount of user rejection because of this (at least one of my friends gave up on Debian in part because of this...he's moved on to mac os...which is not totally unadmirable).

I understand that the kernel-headers-<version> package adds about 50 megs of data to a default install (which is already at about 2 gigs anyway when selecting desktop environment in tasksel), but with disk space so readily available (200 gigs for like $100), I see no reason why this should be a factor.  Besides, those interested in disk space conservation can prune the package if they so desire.  So what are the other reasons for the current situation?  Can this be changed?  And if so, how?  Thank you for your consideration of the poor Joe User.

Regards,
Mike Gilbert