Re: Grace period for kernel-source uploads

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:12:57 -0400, Jurij Smakov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think it would be really useful if whoever is planning the next
> kernel-source upload would give at least 24-hour advance warning by
> e-mailing debian-kernel that such upload is planned. That would give
> people a chance to review their patches, make last-minute additions and
> build a test kernel based on the new k-s. Just an idea, comments are
> welcome.

I'd rather people do kernel-source uploads when they're needed.  One of
the problems with architectures all using k-s is, attempting to coordinate
a release that every arch is satisfied w/ is problematic.  People get
annoyed when their arch is ready to go, but they have to wait for some
other arch.  So, it's better to just release whenever.  We have
kernel-tree, which means kernel-image packages don't need to rebuild for
every k-s release.

The way this works in practice is; I get i386 in shape, release k-s
2.6.x-1.  Svenl gets powerpc ready, and dannf gets ia64 ready (though
they don't coordinate), and Sven releases k-s 2.6.x-2.  Horms throws some
security fixes in SVN; Joshk gets sparc ready, and releases k-s 2.6.x-3.
Due to the security patches, other archs rebuild against 2.6.x-3.  And so
on.

If people want to give advance notice of a k-s release, that's fine, but
it shouldn't be a requirement.