Re: kernel 2.6.11 and tg3 broadcom

Hi,

Sven Luther wrote:
> Once this problem is solved, the removed modules (tg3 and some
> others), will be uploaded to non-free, including as .udeb form, and
> you will just need to install them from there, and be happy, or
> decide you don't like non-free drivers and not buy broadcom chipsets
> in the future.
>
> Notice that this is an improvement over the pre-2.6.11 solution,
> where the driver was present, but stripped of the problematic
> firmware, and thus didn't work as expected.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is an improvement at all. The
stripped-down version of the driver in 2.6.10 worked perfectly for me.
And as far as I know, the firmware is in fact not needed at all in
most cases. So why not keep a stripped down version in main?

--
Philipp Weis    pweis@pweis.com    http://pweis.com/