Re: VMware installation

Hi,

Did you ever solve the problem (see below) and get vmware installed on your machine.

I just upgraded to RedHat Linux 9 and am having the same problem.

murray

--
Murray Zangen
16-Hart Place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi.

I am running kernel-2.4.26.

When I tried to install VMware, I received the following message:

yaochan:~> sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
Making sure services for VMware Workstation are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
 Virtual machine monitor                                             done

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Workstation is suitable for your

running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for

your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "3.3.3", while you are trying to use

"/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.4". This configuration is not recommended and VMware

Workstation may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same

compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler

"/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.4" anyway? [no] yes

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.26/include

The path "/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.26/include" is an existing directory, but

it does not contain at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as

expected.

There are a few things:

1) I got all the kernel source and the directory

/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.26/include

does contain directories "linux", "asm" (a lot of them) and "net".

2) It appears to me that there should not be any significant difference between gcc-3.3.3 and -3.3.4, right ?

Also, I found one case where vmware-config.pl complains about the difference between 3.3.2 and 3.3.3, and

the difference was indeed insignificant.

Is there a way to install VMware workstation on my machine ?

Thanks