Re: debconf 5

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 17:38 -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 03:02:31PM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> > Any debian-kernel folks gonna be at Debconf this year?  Anyone planning
> > to talk?  I was thinking about proposing one - maybe a general overview
> > talk?
> >

> I'm planning on attending.

I plan to attend, but I'm not sure I will - hopefully we can put
together a talk as a group, and whomever is there can give it.

> Didn't previously think about giving a talk, but I am now...

Cool.  To brainstorm on some topics, I was thinking about quickly
starting with some basics.  This is kinda user-level, but I didn't
understand it myself until I started maintaining a kernel.

      * kernel-tree - what it is, and how to use it
      * ABI numbers - so that's what that funky number means
      * -latest packages - what they are (track testing, not sid, etc)

Then talking about some future directions:
      * One super-unified-source package (I've heard rumors about this
        on irc - not sure how much work has been done here)
      * Keeping configs in sync
      * Nightly build testing (I started some work in this area over
        break, hopefully will have something to share soon; making sure
        the current packages in svn build, providing binaries that can
        be later tested for things like unintentional abi changes, etc)

And fight really hard to avoid having this talk turn into a non-free
firmware talk; I'd like to blacklist that topic from this BOF (assuming
we only have an hour) maybe by making a BOF out of it (with metal
detectors at the door).