Re: kernel abiname transition and security updates status

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:24:27PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Before we can release d-i rc3 we need all the kernels updated with at
> least some security fixes, notably the ones that change the kernel
> module ABI, and we need to update things to reflect the new kernel
> "abiname". Here's my understanding of the current status of that:
>
> i386
> 	2.4 and 2.6 updated to -2 abiname; debs not yet in testing;
> 	udebs updated. Until debs hit testing we cannot change
> 	rootskel/base-installer to use the new package names.
> ia64
> 	Now same as i386.
> powerpc
> 	No abiname. 2.4 not updated(?). 2.6 updated, udebs updated, debs
> 	not yet in testing.

powerpc 2.6 debs should enter testing as soon as the mol modules are 2 days
old or something such, or can be forced in, which Colin may have done, not
sure. I still need to upload new 2.4 kernels, altough it is not all that
important since powerpc defaults to 2.6 kernels, and the only reason to keep
2.4 kernels is for the miboot oldworld install method (and apus, but well i
doubt anyone will use apus d-i in the near future, so ...).

Anyway, doing 2.4 kernels is very high on my todo list, and should be done at
the latest by this WE. Do you have any timeframe fro rc3 ? I would also like
if possible to get into it :

  1) new parted with support for RAID and LVM on powermac hardware.

  2) prep-installer and partman-prep, which should add support for prep
  hardware (at least tested on IBM 43p-140 and my motorola powerstack II).

  3) the yaboot-installer/yaboot fix, which together with partman-prep will
  allow for bootloader installation on IBM rs6k and newer pseries.