Re: 2.4.24 (and others) have vanished..

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:26:39AM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Installed a machine the other day with woody. Stable, no testing etc.
> > Was using the same sources.list file that I have used in the past year
> > or two. But with the big difference that I cannot find a later kernel
> > version than 2.4.19 anylonger. Earlier, 2.4.24-1woody.1 have existed,
> > but since the revision 2 and forward, they've not been marked woody.
> >
> > Simple question, why? Were they by mistake marked as stable, or?
>
> They weren't in stable but in stable-proposed-updates.

Oh.. I guess you're right. *blushes*  I actually had
woody-proposed-updates in my sources.list.. My bad.

> Stable-proposed-updates contains packages wich the maintainer proposes
> for inclusion in the next stable point release, and the stable release
> manager selects from them the packages which meet the criteria for
> inclusion in stable.
>
> Completely new kernels have too many changes beyond security and
> stability fixes, they will never go in a stable point release. The
> maintainer shouldn't have uploaded them to stable-proposed-updates
> in the first place.

*nods*  Makes sense. If I had better knowledge on what I get when doing
an apt-get update, I'd not have the problem.. Ah well, we all learn. :-)

> > If continuing on the same problem, is there somewhere information about
> > all packages that have existed through-out the history? With all
> > versions, revisions etc.
>
> http://snapshot.debian.net/
> Note that those kernels are not supported, they won't get security
> updates, and may have known fatal bugs.

Oh. I shall have a look there. I'm well aware of what gets security
fixes etc. So that shouldn't be any problems.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out what I had made wrong.

With best regards,

Roy 'Mooie' Sandgren.

M.Sc. Student @
 Blekinge Institute of Technology