Re: kernel abiname transition and security updates status

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:24:27PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Before we can release d-i rc3 we need all the kernels updated with at
> least some security fixes, notably the ones that change the kernel
> module ABI, and we need to update things to reflect the new kernel
> "abiname". Here's my understanding of the current status of that:

> i386
> 	2.4 and 2.6 updated to -2 abiname; debs not yet in testing;
> 	udebs updated. Until debs hit testing we cannot change
> 	rootskel/base-installer to use the new package names.

For 2.4, this requires i2c, kernel-latest-2.4-i386, linux-wlan-ng,
lm-sensors, and oprofile-source to be ready to go at the same time with
packages built against the new ABI.  Of these, oprofile-source has had a
recent upload, but has only out-of-date modules (none built against the new
ABI); i2c has new module packages, all of them with the old ABI version in
the package name and with dependencies on the old kernels; and
kernel-latest-2.4-i386 appears to be in the court of the kernel team.  No
info on the others.  Is someone on the kernel team willing to coordinate
with the maintainers of those packages?

2.6 needs out-of-date binaries removed for the old ABI.

> ia64
> 	Now same as i386.

Though with fewer complications from dependent module packages, thankfully.
:)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer