kernel-panic not syncing : VFS : unable to mount boot fs on unknown-block

Hi,

I'm new to linux and i've chosen to install Debian. Currently I'm running 2.4.27-1-686-sn. Beceause I have a ATI 9800XT I wanted to compile a new kernel with the ATI-drivers in it. I downloaded kernel 2.6.9.

BUT when I rebooted in 2.6.9 I get an error:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hde3" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

My motherboard is a P4P800 deluxe.
I have a S-ATA harddisk with the first two partitions as NTFS (windows).
Then I have my linux(ext3) harddisk and a swapdisk.

Details:
fstab: http://www.easychilling.net/tmp/fstab.info
config: http://www.easychilling.net/tmp/config-2.6.9.info
grub: http://www.easychilling.net/tmp/grub_menu.lst.info
lspci output: http://www.easychilling.net/tmp/hardware.info

I think it's something with grub or the SATA driver.
I hope someone can help me, i'm busy with it for 3 days now...

Thanks in advance,

Robin