Re: initramfs generator selection

On Thursday 29 December 2005 21:49, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > It also makes the installer independent of the default dependency set
> > in kernel-image packages.
>
> I'm not sure if this last is really an advantage. I'd rather leave the
> decision of which is default up to the kernel people, and we want d-i
> to behave the same as a later kernel upgrde.

I partially agree with the first part of the sentence. The kernel team
should have a big say in which generator is used. OTOH a new installation
is a fairly specific use of the software where the kernel team has to
take a lot more use cases (especially upgrades) in mind. So, if we see
very strong advantages of one generator over another in the d-i context I
would hope we can agree with the kernel team to use a different default
for d-i.

I fully agree with the last part of the sentence and it will. As the
method we now use makes sure only the selected generator is installed,
the same one will be used on subsequent upgrades (provided the kernel
team will keep listing both as alternatives).
We could even force it by setting the generator in /etc/kernel-img.cfg
during the installation, but that has its own pros and cons.

> As long as it's only asked at medium, I don't care that the question
> exists, but here is a way to avoid it anyway. It also makes recovering

I've just uploaded the new base-installer with the question set at medium
priority.

> from a generator that doesn't work much more pleasant than having to
> follow the current advice in the question and re-install.
>
> [...]
>
> Then if one fails to boot, you just use the other one.
>
> Personally, d-i aside, I would prefer to have this capability available
> in all my systems currently.

I have a number of problems with this proposal, although I do understand
your reasoning (besides the issues you already mention yourself).
- it seems like a lot of work and added complexity in both base-installer
  and all $bootloader-installers for something that hopefully is only
  a temporary problem
- the added complexity could lead to its own errors and issues
- having two boot menu items that are supposed to do the same thing does
  not particularly appeal to me
- it is not obvious for users how they can get rid of the double entry
  once they find one that works for them
- we'd have to ensure that kernel upgrades would do the same thing and
  make sure that is maintained