Re: 2.6.14 status summary, and upcoming 2.6.15 ...

Thanks Jonas for your detailed report.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:24:34PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 28 November 2005 12:45, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > The following problems are known for yaird currently in sid:
>
> Add:
> * Does not work for drivers that don't have sysfs support, like BusLogic
>
> > We do not have _automated_ workarounds, which it seems you imply and I
> > clearly didn't above.
>
> Manual workarounds are not always possible. In a lot of cases manual
> workarounds are fine for upgrades, but they are impractical to say the
> least for new installations.
> Every case where a manual workaround is needed is one that makes yaird
> less attractive for use in Debian Installer.

Yeah, but those are issues that will be fixed before the etch release, and
also we have to take into account the case where initramfs-tools is not
possible (like the ia64 case and its lake of initramfs support).

> > > If there is a workaround, we could put out a errata list of the
> > > problems and possible workarounds and stuff.
> >
> > ...that's what Erik wants to do as well for the non-sysfs supported
> > hardware. I am not ahead of him, and I don't think such list exist yet.
>
> Again, this is not really a solution for new installations.

No, but is important to diagnose the problems and see where there is work
needed yet or not. And more importantly, to help us decide whether we can push
2.6.14 into testing, or preferably keep it out of it and kill 2.6.14 in favour
of 2.6.15.