Re: version/infrastructure separation test ...

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:48:04PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you may have noticed, i did some tests to illustrate my proposal to split
> the infrastructure out of the real packaging, which you can find at :
>
>   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/kernel/dists/test
>
> The layout is as follows :
>
>   linux/infrastructure/debian <- contains the common stuff.
>   linux/versions/<version>/debian <- contains : arch, patches-debian, patches-arch
>
> I have added symlinks from each version to the infrastructure stuff, but
> ideally we would have a way to handle this better. I am thinking of an export
> debian/control rules, which would do the right thing and prepare an uploadable
> directory, doing svn export, unpacking the upstream tarball and pruning it or
> using the debian dir and so on.
>
> The one problem which needs a bit more though would be the changelog field,
> which i didn't know where to put, as there are the per-version changes and the
> infrastructure changes, maybe we need a Changelog.infrastructure or something
> like this, and that we should also pull in the k-p changelog at built time.
>
> Comments on this are welcome.
>
> Another idea would be to have the following layout :
>
>   linux/debian <- all the common stuff.
>   linux/debian/2.6.12 <- the 2.6.12 stuff.
>   linux/debian/2.6.14 <- the 2.6.14 stuff.
>
> All in a single place, and we can just exclude the not-needed directories from
> being included in the debian/rules export target.

Hi Sven,

While I think keeping common code common is important,
isn't this something our version control system should
be doing for us with branches and merges? I'm concerned
that your approach adds extra complexity to achive
much the same goal.

--
Horms