Re: [kernel] r4732 - in dists: sid trunk

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 08:30:56AM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 08:02:35AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I have another proposal, and it involves symlinks. Simon has shown that using
> > symlinks inside svn is fully supported by svn, so let's try that.
>
> This is incorrect. Symlinks are dumb pointers.

Indeed, but the checked out tree remain.

> > The plan goes as follows :
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.12
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.14
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.15-rcX
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6.15
> > ..../dists/versions/2.6-git
>
> WHAT does this fix, except that version disappear faster and you go into
> a merge mess I wanted to avoid.

not, because the versions will stay around.

> > This should solve everyone's problem, i believe.
>
> Not until someone discribed what the problem is that this should solve.
> The problem is, that someone insists into removing the _main
> development_ tree.

Indeed. The idea was to move 2.6.14 to sid, and make the out-of-git tree the
main development tree, which was exactly what *YOU* where advocating post
2.6.12, so i don't understand what you are complaining about.

Bastian what do you think about my idea of splitting infrastructure and
per-version stuff ? I would hearthily like to hear your comments on that.