Why dependance of linux kernel on linux-kernel-headers package ?

Hi all,

I would like to know about some things regarding the current scheme of
things in the linux kernel compilation procedure on Debian machines.

Its a bicth  is that if I have to compile  specific modules against a
specific kernel version ( against  header files from that specific
version ).

The problem being that because of the kernel-headers package, the gcc
(in kernel make procedure) will pick up the kernel headers from the
package specific directories but not from the /usr/src/linux path
where my specific files reside.

The work-around though simple that to change the -I in the gcc path is
not simple as the frame-work is like very rigid about the headers path
in the linux kernel.

How do I make my kernel to take the kernel headers from an alternate
location. There should have been an alternate way to specify at a
single location the alternate configuration of the header file
location. But this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks,

Warm Regards,

Chaitanya V. Hazarey

ps:

Description of the linux-kernel-headers package

"Linux Kernel Headers for development

This package provides headers from the Linux kernel.  These headers
are used by the installed headers for GNU glibc and other system libraries."